Many people may believe that physical therapy is reserved just for professional athletes. But in reality, physical therapy is an effective form of treatment for a range of patients experiencing sports-related injuries, car accident injuries, or other types of injuries and ailments. In this blog, we’re taking a closer look into the world of physical therapy and revealing 5 of the top benefits patients can expect from undergoing a physical therapy program.
Denver Integrated Spine Center is committed to every step of your recovery. Serving patients in the greater Denver area, our multidisciplinary injury recovery center can get you back to your active, healthy lifestyle. Our full team of experienced chiropractors, massage therapists, and healthcare professionals are here to speed up your recovery.
Our evidence-based treatments can address a wide range of different injuries, including back pain, headaches and migraines, neck pain, joint problems, and recovery from car accidents and sports injuries. At Denver Integrated Spine Center, our entire office is committed to your recovery and we’ll be there to support you every step of the way.
What is Physical Therapy?
According to the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), physical therapy can be understood as a “specialized type of treatment for patients suffering from an injury, illness, or recovering from an accident.” As such, physical therapy is an ideal method for treating a wide range of different health problems. The core of physical therapy utilizes hands-on therapy and a series of exercises and stretches designed to help patients heal naturally, recover from serious injuries, and may even boost your overall physical performance. That’s why you’ll see a physical therapist on staff for pretty much every professional sports team.
When undergoing physical therapy, the patient works under the guidance of a licensed physical therapist. These healthcare specialists work closely with their patients with hands-on treatments and will guide them through their exercises and stretches. Each physical therapy treatment plan is developed specifically for the unique injuries and healthcare needs of the patient. The duration of a physical therapy program will depend on a variety of factors, such as the patient’s age, their overall fitness level, and the injury or health issue. But if the patient stays dedicated to their therapy, they can experience a range of health benefits.
5 Benefits of Physical Therapy
When you partake in a physical therapy program with an experienced and trained physical therapist, you may experience a range of health benefits, including:
- Pain relief: if you’re suffering from chronic pain in your back, shoulders, joints, or neck, physical therapy can be a safe and effective way to relieve this pain. Even after just one physical therapy session, many patients experience a reduction in pain.
- Improved mobility: an injury to your joints can dramatically reduce your overall mobility. With physical therapy, the exercises and stretches can work to heal the injury and help restore—and even improve—your overall mobility.
- Improved balance: if you’re experiencing balance issues as a result of an injury, vertigo, or even just old age, physical therapy can help. Physical therapy can help you maintain muscle strength and coordination so that you lower your risk of falls, which is especially important for older individuals who want to maintain an independent lifestyle.
- Post-surgery recovery: following a major surgery, it may take weeks, or even months, to fully heal and recover. That’s why many doctors will actually refer their patients to a physical therapist after a major surgery. The exercises and stretches can speed up your natural healing process and set you on course for a long-lasting recovery.
- Avoid more invasive treatments: while physical therapy may be recommended for those recovering from a surgery, some patients may be able to avoid surgery altogether with physical therapy. While this will still come down to your specific healthcare needs, physical therapy can help some people avoid invasive treatments, like surgery or prescription medication, that could have unwanted side effects.
Who Could Benefit from Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy is an ideal form of care for almost anyone. As a safe, holistic, and effective treatment, physical therapy can help you recover from an injury and stay in peak physical condition. You don’t need to be a professional athlete to benefit from physical therapy. Physical therapy is ideal for anyone who enjoys an active lifestyle. Additionally, it can also be a great way to stay healthy and active as you get older and may begin to experience balance issues or other health problems.
If you’re experiencing one of the following health issues, ask your primary care physician if physical therapy could be right for you.
- Chronic back pain.
- Shoulder pain.
- Knee pain.
- Neck pain and headaches.
- Sports-related injuries.
- Car accident recovery.
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Stroke recovery.
- Balance issues.
- Torn rotator cuff.
- Muscle or ligament tears.
- Head or neck injuries.
- Post-surgical recovery.
- Parkinson’s disease.
Is Physical Therapy Safe?
When you receive treatment from a licensed physical therapist, experts agree that this is one of the safest approaches to care. No matter your age or fitness level, physical therapy can be an effective method for treating various injuries and ailments. Why is this? In part, physical therapy is seen as such a safe type of care because it works with your body to heal. In fact, compared to other treatments like surgery or prescription medication, almost every medical professional would advocate for physical therapy as a safer alternative.
While some patients may experience some mild pain or soreness (especially after the first few sessions), this is actually a good sign that your body is working to heal. However, if at any time your physical therapy routine becomes too painful, don’t be shy about mentioning this to your physical therapist. In most cases, they’ll be to make slight adjustments to the routine to minimize the pain and discomfort while remaining effective.
Conclusion – 5 Benefits of Physical Therapy
As a non-invasive and safe approach to care, physical therapy is ideal for almost any patient. Receiving physical therapy from a licensed physical therapist can effectively address a range of health problems and help you recover faster from an injury. Often recommended to work in tandem with other types of care, such as chiropractic adjustments, physical therapy can help you not just heal faster—but also experience a longer lasting recovery.
There are many benefits associated with receiving physical therapy. Not only can it help you recover from an injury faster, but physical therapy can also provide quick pain relief, improve your balance, restore mobility, and even boost your mood and mental health. For some patients, a successful physical therapy program can also help you avoid more invasive types of care, such as surgery or medication.
If you’re considering the benefits of physical therapy, our chiropractic office can help. Denver Integrated Spine Center (DISC) is a leading full-service chiropractic care serving patients in the greater Denver area. Our entire team is dedicated to your healthcare needs and recovery and we’ll help you every step of the way. If you’re recovering from an injury, car accident, or experiencing chronic pain or joint stiffness, our team can help.
Contact us today to schedule your preliminary consultation. Our Colorado chiropractic office specializes in personalized care using evidence-based treatment techniques to help you recover from injury, relieve pain, and get you back faster to the life you love.