Receiving a professional massage certainly feels great and can help you relax—but that’s not all. Getting a massage from a licensed massage therapist can offer patients a wide array of benefits for both their mental and physical health. But if you’ve never experienced professional massage therapy, you may be unaware of how truly amazing this type of care can be. In this blog, we’re taking a closer look at professional massage therapy and how this form of treatment can provide quick pain relief, better mobility, and improve your recovery. We also explore 5 unexpected benefits of massage therapy that will make you seriously consider trying professional massage therapy if you’ve never had the chance.
Denver Integrated Spine Center is committed to your complete recovery. Serving patients in the greater Denver area, our multidisciplinary injury recovery center can get you back to your active, healthy lifestyle. Our team of experienced chiropractors, massage therapists, and healthcare professionals are here to speed up your recovery and treat a wide range of injuries, including back pain, headaches and migraines, neck pain, joint problems, and recovery from car accidents and sports injuries. At Denver Integrated Spine Center, our entire office is committed to your recovery and we’ll be there to support you every step of the way.
What is Massage Therapy?
Professional massage therapy is much more than receiving a relaxing massage from a friend or loved one. Per the Mayo Clinic, massage therapy involves a certified massage therapist who manipulates the soft tissues of your body. This type of therapy can relieve pain, improve mobility, and reduce stress or anxiety. And while massage therapy has not always been seen as a legitimate medical treatment, new research now has shown the myriad health benefits that patients can receive from this holistic approach to care.
But how does this process work? Massage therapists use manual therapy to treat your muscles, connective tissues, tendons, ligaments, and skin with varying degrees of pressure and movement. Mounting research shows the range of health benefits of massage therapy. Massage therapy can work to reduce stress, reduce pain and muscle tension, and help you feel more relaxed and calm. Massage therapy can even boost the health and strength of your immune system.
It’s also important to note that simply getting a massage from a friend may not offer the same health benefits as professional massage therapy. Massage therapists are trained in specific techniques that unlock a wide range of key health benefits. Depending on your situation, your massage therapist can tailor your massage therapy program to best suit your healthcare needs.
5 Unexpected Benefits of Massage Therapy
Massage therapy is much more than simply getting a massage to feel good and relax. Of course, that’s still true, but there are many additional health benefits to massage therapy. Some of these amazing benefits may even surprise you.
Let’s take a closer look at 5 of the unexpected benefits of professional massage therapy:
- Quick pain relief: massage therapy is an effective method for naturally relieving pain throughout the body. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recovering from a car accident or sports-related injury, massage therapy can help provide quick and long-lasting pain relief. Many patients are shocked to learn that massage therapy can even help relieve pain associated with headaches and migraines. As an alternative to medications or surgery, massage therapy is a much safer method for treating pain.
2. Better joint mobility: whether this is caused by an auto accident, sports injury, or just wear and tear from your active lifestyle, limited mobility in your joints can negatively affect your life and decrease your activity levels. When it hurts to move your joints, even simple daily activities can become a chore.
Luckily, a professional massage therapist can develop a specialized massage program aimed at improving your joint mobility. Massage therapy can both improve and restore mobility and reduce pain and tension.
3. Lower your heart rate and blood pressure: according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. While heart disease can be caused by a variety of factors, high blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) can increase your risk of developing cardiovascular disease.
It’s important to take care of your heart—especially as you get older. Massage therapy can help lower your heart rate and help maintain regular, healthy blood pressure. This works in tandem with the ability of massage to help you stay calm and relaxed.
4. Reduce stress and anxiety: constant pain and discomfort throughout your day can lead to stress and tension. In a troubling cycle, this stress can often lead to more pain and complicate existing health problems. Since massage therapy is an ideal method for helping you relax, this form of treatment reduces tension through the body so you leave feeling calm and in control. We all face stress throughout the routines of our lives, which is just one more reason why massage therapy is ideal for anyone.
5. Boosts your mental health: massage therapy can help you not just feel better physically, but also feel better from a mental standpoint. More and more studies are illuminating the intricate and close link between your mental and physical health. Thus, when one is suffering, the other tends to suffer, too.
When your body is in constant pain or discomfort, it quickly takes a toll on your mood and emotional wellbeing. This is why massage therapy can even boost your mental health and help you feel refreshed, alert, and relaxed. Research suggests that massage therapy can alleviate problematic symptoms caused by stress, anxiety, or even depression. Don’t just heal your body. Care for both your body and mind by trying massage therapy.
Who Could Benefit from Receiving Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy has become such a popular form of treatment, in part, because it’s so versatile. Professional massage therapy can effectively respond to a variety of health issues and help you recover faster from an injury or illness. Even if you aren’t experiencing a health problem, regular massage therapy can improve your physical performance and even help you prevent future injuries.
If you’re experiencing one of the following health conditions, massage therapy could be the right healthcare solution for you:
- Back pain.
- Headaches and neck pain.
- Soft tissue strains or injuries.
- Sports-related injuries.
- Insomnia caused by stress.
- Nerve pain.
Conclusion – 5 Unexpected Benefits of Massage Therapy
Massages feel great, of course, but that’s just the beginning. Receiving a massage from a licensed massage therapist offers a litany of health benefits for both your physical and mental health. Massage therapy can work to reduce pain and tension, improve mobility, boost your immune system, and even improve your mood and mental health. As a holistic and non-invasive approach to care, massage therapy is one of the safest forms of treatment.
Denver Integrated Spine Center is a leading full-service chiropractic care serving patients in the greater Denver metro area. Our entire team is dedicated to your healthcare needs and recovery and we’ll help you every step of the way. If you’re recovering from a car accident or experiencing chronic pain, limited mobility, joint stiffness, or even headaches or migraines, our expert team can help you recover faster.
Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation. Our chiropractic office specializes in personalized care using advanced treatment techniques to help you recover from injury, relieve pain, and get you back to the lifestyle you love.